Thursday, May 29, 2008

Africa

Africa - in the bush, no phone, no internet, no blog... til now.

Arrived in Africa early Sunday morning and was met by everyone there. We eventually made our way from Johannesburg to Pinda Game Reserve after a 2 hour prop plane ride and were brought to Rock Lodge - 6 bungalows built into a small mountain - which was spectacular and so nice to see once we arrived. The long day's travel was well worth it. After a quick shower and lunch (overseen by a group of monkeys) we went out for a game drive and were overwhelmed by the sites. Zebra, Nyala, Warthog, Wildebeest, Giraffe, Crocodile, etc. etc.. The site of these animals in the wild is just so cool.

The game drives go for 3-4 hours and you just explore all over searching for new cool animals to observe all along the way, but I'd be perfectly content if we didn't even see animals, the views of the landscape are that amazing. THe days are long and exhausting, even if the safari lodge experience is about the most relaxing experience imaginable. Amazing lodging, amazing food ALL the time, amazing sights, and incredible service and people. Not to mention the lack of internet/phone/tv/communications so you are totally cut off from any possible stress of unwanted distractions.

I had a tough time the first few days adjusting to time changes, jet lag, new foods and maybe most of all being surrounded by people (namely, my family) all the time. After over a month of growing so accustomed to constant inner monologue with zero dependence on interacting with others, it's been hard to adjust to the company. I have been very quiet and not really noticing it myself until I'm called out on it by everyone constantly. The exhaustion of the traveling hasn't helped either. I am just so used to listening rather than speaking myself, that the change has been dramatic. Its now, as well, that I start to pick up on some of the changes in myself during this time on the road. It's hard to describe how specifically, but I feel as though (other than my current sociability) I've improved in a lot of ways and I wonder if that becomes evident to others over time or if I'll end up reverting. It seems like now I've come back to life, however, at the very least.

No comments: