redeye flight just after midnight tonight into Johannesburg to meet
the family for Safari. I've grown quite accustomed to this time alone
and while I am very excited to see everyone (and Africa) its a little
bittersweet that the Jake only adventure is coming to a close. I've
been saying how much I'm looking forward to relinquishing the driver's
seat on this tour and sitting shotgun finally, but I have to say that
the excitement of the unknown that surrounded each arrival and step of
the way on this ride has been very fun.
I've learned more than I think I even realize on this trip so far and
feel fortunate for the variety of people and cultures I've had the
chance to interact with along the way. Its crucial, I think, for
everyone to have time like this on their own to give themself a chance
to clear your head and get to know yourself and the unknown that's out
there, not to mention build confidence in your own independence and
ability to handle the unexpected. I am going to try not to allow
myself to get too comfortable being in the group stage on Africa,
since the most important aspects of the trip so far have been my
interactions with people purely resulting from my solitude.
Japan seems like a long time ago in a number of ways and its
interesting to look back at my experience there as I began the process
of adjusting to this lifestyle. The experience there seemed like a
look into the future, while china was more a feeling of hope that
their world doesn't become the future. Vietnam was essentially a step
into the past and a great history lesson, while Cambodia was more of a
glimpse at what I suspect the present is like in much of the
developing world. Finally, Thailand, tough to judge off just
Bangkok... But the tpur of the Grand Palace today was impressive, if a
little strange for some reason. I'll save the real judgement for
future visits to more peaceful spots here.
Excited to see what Africa's all about tomorrow, and to be surrounded
by groups of people not from Asian decent. Nothing against them in
general, but after a month of it, I'm ready for some geographic
diversity...
No comments:
Post a Comment