Bangkok is. This place is the seediest place I've ever seen. Just so sketchy all over. Every cab I've gotten has had the driver after I get in say that rather than go to the place you instruct they will take you to a body massage joint, which are essentially glorified brothels. You need to insist they take you to your destination anyhow and just shut then up. Grim scene.
I'm going to try to get out in the morning tomorrow to at least see if there's some proper culture here, because aside from the Jim Thompson house, I've only seen sleaze outside the hotel grounds and every time I come back it's just a huge relief to know nobody is scamming you or trying to bring you to a whore house...
Had dinner tonight at a place called BED supperclub where you eat on beds from a surprise, set menu with some sort of show and dj's, etc. I went off hotel and friend recommendations with this one and it was actually pretty cool and the food was really good. After the meal you go to Bed Bar, which is a club in the same building, but I am so weirded out by the whole scene with old men folowing around young thai girls and the unknown 'ladyboy' factor and the fact that all thai girls look 16 at best I couldn't even stay for a drink. There was a blond girl at dinner seated at the next bed over with 2 dudes and all I could think was how I miss being home and being shot down by girls like her in NYC...
Hopefully I'll have a successful day of proper touristing tomorrow before a late flight to Africa, officially ending the solo run here in Asia. See some pics of the day's less grimy activities below.
Friday, May 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment