Saturday, May 10, 2008

Shanghai Nights & more communism

Had a night out in Shanghai last night. Crazy place. Started out at a
house party that was entirely ex-pats. All was well until the British
members of the group began to express their US jealousy and started
antagonizing me over the "short but effective" reign of the American
empire. The discussion a. Showed the enormous difference in the way
people are taught history in various places, and b. Gave an
interesting insight into how we are perceived abroad. Incredibly
frustrating interaction being that it was taking place at a cocktail
party at 2am and the main antagonist was the birthday boy, making me
hesitant to fight the way I'd have liked to.

I also found a seemingly intelligent Chinese girl that I grilled about
the communist structure. I'm someone who's not particularly political
at all, but being in China has me all charged up. First I cannot for
the life of me understand the mentality of these people who so
universally seem resigned to the belief that the government is what it
is and there is nothing any individual or group can do to fight for
their civil liberties that we take for granted in the US. I have such
a hard time dealing with the lack of motivation to fight against this
government in any way. Lost on them is the belief that they should
look out for eachother and fight for the rights of each individual for
the betterment of the whole nation. Plus the ex-pats seem mildly
brainwashed into thinking things are ok here as well, at least the
British ones I've met. Makes me wonder what more time in the UK would
show me about their government/people.

Maybe this is all overreaction, but I don't think so.

Anyways, after the party we hit a small bar that reminded me of the
otherroom in NY and then an after hours club that didnt open til 4am
for a drink or 2. Places like that just don't exist in NYC, which I
think is a shame. Not because I would have ever gone, but because NY
needs that type of scene to stay interesting, I think. The downside
was that even just a short visit had us leave the club at 5am to full
sunlight... Which is among the most depressing feeling ever to me and
also meant I'd been up nearly 24 straight hours and was absolutely
100% exhausted and showing it. Billings was intent on showing I'd a
good time though so I do appreciate that. Hopefully tonight it body
will be better prepared for a repeat, if it takes place, although I'm
nervous since people have prepared me to not expect much sleep in HK
tomorrow being a long weekend for buddha's birthday. I guess it makes
up for how lame I've been to this point...

No comments: