Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Siem Reap-diculus

Arrived last night in Siem Reap in the northern part of Cambodia. This
place has clearly been discovered... Still very cool though. The feel
here is that of a ski resort in every way, except in place of ski
mountains they have the Angkor temples to occupy everyone during the
day. At night there is a street called "Pub Street", pretty self
explanatory. Lined with a dozen or so bars with dollar beers and pool
tables and dancing, etc. I've decided that pool is the ultimate social
device when your traveling solo. I met a group of people on the table
last night- British, japanese & San Diagoan and lingered til late just
sharing travel stories. Its the ultimate backpacker/tourist spot.
People head out to the temples all day, come back, relax and regroup
(apres temple, if you will) before early dinners and drinks. The bar
did have a number of 'professional' ladies lurking in the back and a
number of skeevy looking, desperate dudes of all ages there to sit
with them silently on their lap before stealthily executing an exit to
god know where with them. I found entertainment just watching this
pathetic dynamic and sticking to the tables.

After an early wakeup I headed out to the temples, which are
spectacular. I cant stop snapping photos (evidence later). All about
800 years old an in varying states of ruin. I have a guide who's a bit
of a fruit, but is full of good information and so helpful here. If
just left on my own I'd be totally lost. We jumped into a row of food
stalls for lunch just before the afternoon downpour started, and it is
cats & dogs right now, as I write. The food here, along with
everyplace else I've been, is awesome. No matter where you go, street
stall or fancy place (which is in relative terms here) the quality is
so high and everything is super fresh and healthy. It will be hard
readjusting to greasy U.S. meals when I get back.

Hoping this rain quicky passes so I can get back to exploring. It is
very nice to have it cool down some though. The sticky heat is like
NYC in July and not so comfortable, but all my Patagonia gear has done
the job so far.

No comments: