The midday rain storm came and went much faster than yesterday so
after getting a little wet in the temples today I headed for a boat
tour of the floating village. The ride from the temples was simple
enough until we reached a stretch of road being redeveloped into some
sort of pier (for what I have no clue - its barely a river) that had
been absolutely wrecked by the rainfall. My tuk tuk wasn't outfitted
for off road so we detached it and rode 2 on the motor bike until we
hit a mud patch and it sid out from under us so I was left to walk the
remainder of the way - a distance described at "1 kilomet". It took
me about 45 minutes. Ankle deep mud in my rainbow sandals that either
suctioned with every step forcing me to yank my feet or slid all over.
It was like a practical joke. I didn't see a single other foreigner
the whole route through this totally impoverished village that
linedthe road side with the river on one side and the rice fields on
the other and all the homes (thatch palm leaf huts) on stilts 20 feet
high anchored in one or the other. Naked kids running around swimming
in the mud all around me and all sorts of random busy work being done
by the grown ups (6 and up) and anyone under 5 just saying "one dolla"
as I walked by with their hands out and a big joking smile. I was the
main picture target in this scene but was just trying to snap pics at
whatever I saw. It was total insanity. The long walk finally got me to
the "dock" where I boarded a long woodeb motor boat rigged up to a car
engine and some type of prop.
From there we rode along a channel lined by a floating elementary
school house boat and a floating basketball gym, before letting out
into the lake which was totally kevin Costner waterworld. Hundreds of
houseboats floating starting about a half mile off shore. Floating
school, supermarket (relative term), church, mechanic. It was totally
loco.
Got dropped off at a floating fish farm with unnamed fish, gators,
pythons... Then back to the boat rode back to the "town". At one
point a girl jumped onto my boat with a full cooler of beer soaking
wet offering cold Angkor beer for $2. I was so stunned I had to buy one.
Once back ashore I quickly nabbed an off road tuk tuk (dirt bike rear
tire and heavy duty trailer hitch) that zipped me back to my more
luxurious street tested chariot back to the hotel. Just a wild day
from beginning to,especially, end. On to Bangkok around 1:00 tomorrow
where I plan to just relax poolside most of the afternoon. I feel I
deserve it after today...
Pics of the mayhem forthcoming...
No comments:
Post a Comment