Saturday, May 3, 2008

Japanese must be richer than Americans

Spent the better part of the day today touring around some of the trendier areas of the city.  I started out in Harajaku which was probably my favorite area of the day.  Much edgier and funkier area with a ton of cool stores down allies and narrow streets off the main drag of Omatesando.  My favorite store was called Beams, but everything was made for japanese sized people so I couldn't buy anything - not that I could afford it.  

My new 'student' spending mentalities are kicking in, despite the cost of my lodging.  Tokyo though is incredibly expensive for any type of clothing everywhere.  Shirts at everyplace started at about $200, polos for $100 and up so a little out of my league.  That said, I cannot imagine a better place for someone who was looking to shop or who is into fashion.  There are more stores in this city than you can imagine and everything is hidden down these little streets off the main thoroughfares.  From Harajaku I moved through Shibuya which was hectic and not as cool as Harajaku and ended up in Aoyama which was more residential and quieter but with some of the hippest stores in the city there.  

I'm exhausted by the whole consumer onslaught I went through and will look for some culture this afternoon.  

No comments: