more impoverished and third world than anyplace I've been yet. Phnom
Penh is a pretty city and the people so far have lived up to their
reputation as being exceedingly friendly and great. I'm sitting at the
balcony at the bar at FCC overlooking the river. Its hot but breezy
and people are lining the river side promenade strolling and just
hanging out, enjoying the end of their weekend.
When I arrived here I made my way over to the Tuol Sleng genocide
museum which was about the creepiest place you can imagine. Its
essentially Cambodia's version of Auschwitz and walking into the cells
and seeing the pictures of the thousands of people who were killed
under Pol Pot was chilling to say the least. While I did say how nice
it is here, it is sort of a sad place because you have this history
looming over it and there are far more strangely crippled people
around the streets, etc.
This bar though is very cool, such an old traveler feel with jazz
music in the background. I'd been warned that Phnom Penh was not a
relaxing place to air back and enjoy the scenery. That warning seems
to have been misguided. Hoping to meet some Americans I've been set up
with here later on at the bar they own right by my hotel (which is
very cool and mellow).
I'll head out to see the killing fields as well as the silver pagoda
in town before an evening flight to Siem Reap and the temples of
Angkor.
No comments:
Post a Comment