Couldn't be much more different from Japan. The people are maybe more genuine, but also way less welcoming and accommodating here. There is the same type of communist feel to the place that Moscow had. People just seem very down to business.
The contrast between old and new is incredible. You have the Forbidden City which is incredible and so expansive acrosse from Tienemen Sq. which is very similar to Red Square in Moscow but in Red Square they have a mall - here they have guards telling you no pictures.
There is construction Everywhere. Everywhere. And not just small apartment complexed, massive developments. THis is the new CCTV tower which is amazing.
It's way cheap/sketchy and everyone is hustling something/somebody. Today I bought 4 Arcteryx jackets for $120, and dinner for $7. Dinner at the place the hotel suggested was closed so I literally wandered down a dark ally and ate street meat and fried noodles (see below - literally this is the place I had diner). Just sort of the way I roll Beijing style.
heading to the Great Wall in the morning. More to come from smoggy China...
No comments:
Post a Comment