Had a very cool dinner tonight at a restaurant called Ngom. The place is basically this open air restaurant surrounded by a patio packed with communal tables of 4 lined on the outside with stations of chefs all cooking up various sorts of Vietnamese foods. The guide book described it like they went around poaching the best street chefs from all over Vietnam and gave them a spot in the restaurant to cook from, and it seems to characterize it perfectly. It was a pricey meal by Nam standards ($9) but well worth it. One thing worth noting from the meal is apparently the Vietnamese eat shrimp shells and all. I got some sort of vietnamese version of a quesadilla and the shrimp inside were steamed and unpeeled, so I just 'when in Rome'd' it and dug in.
On my way back I stopped by a bar by the hotel I'd read about that looked cool but inside the crowd was essentially all foreign dudes and dressed up Vietnamese ladies which just felt creepy to me but probably is exactly what most tourists here are shooting to find. It was "Construction Night" though so that may have impacted the draw? I bailed since in the morning I am up early to shoot out to a tour of the Cu Chi tunnels from the Viet Cong days and shoot AK-47 machine guns...
Friday, May 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment